Public speaking engagements: talks, workshops & courses
Where Valerie Matarese PhD has recently spoken, in Italy and beyond:
- Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale dell'Abruzzo e del Molise "Giuseppe Caporale", Teramo (IT), April-July 2021: "Effective Biomedical Writing" (scientific writing course, first online edition)
- Istituto Nazionale dei Tumori (IRCCS), Milan (IT), January-June 2020: "Effective Biomedical Writing" (scientific writing course for doctoral students)
- Istituto Nazionale dei Tumori (IRCCS), Milan (IT), 11 November 2019: "Reporting quantities and statistics" (workshop)
- CRO Centro di Riferimento Oncologico, Aviano (IT), 6 and 11 June 2019: "Citation, quotation and paraphrasing - for avoiding plagiarism" (workshop)
- CRO Centro di Riferimento Oncologico, Aviano (IT), 14 and 21 May 2019: "Basic techniques of scientific writing" (workshop)
- Center for Surveillance, Epidemiology, and Laboratory Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta (US), 16 January 2019: "The trouble with research writing and what we can do about it" (CSELS science webinar) Poster Slides Audio+slides (46 MB)
- PubMet 2018: The 5th Conference on Scholarly Publishing in the Context of Open Science, Zadar (HR), 28 September 2018: "Every scientific research institute needs an authors editor"
- Mediterranean Editors and Translators, 14th annual meeting (METM18), Girona (ES), 5 October 2018: "CRediT and me: academias imperfect project to standardize contributions to research articles, and one language professionals attempts to set it straight"
- Department of Specialist, Diagnostic and Experimental Medicine, University of Bologna, Bologna (IT), 25 May 2018: "Writing Grant Proposals: Techniques to present your ideas with clarity and conviction" (one-day workshop)
- SENSE 2018 Conference, s‐Hertogenbosch (NL), 9 June 2018: "Bad textual mentors: How awkwardly written research articles complicate the work of an authors editor"
- SEMM European School of Molecular Medicine, Milan (IT), 7 July 2017: "Getting into IMRaD. The research article structure as a guide to reading and writing the scientific literature" (one-day workshop, held on special request)
- SEMM European School of Molecular Medicine, Milan (IT), 4 July 2017: "Basic techniques in scientific writing" (one-day workshop)
- Fondazione IRCCS – Istituto Nazionale dei Tumori, Milan (IT), September–November 2016: "Effective Biomedical Writing" (7–day course for doctoral students and early career researchers)
- Mediterranean Editors and Translators, 12th annual meeting (METM16), Tarragona (ES), 15 October 2016: "Author editing—the provenance and prospects of our profession"
- Istituto di Ricerche Farmacologiche "Mario Negri", PhD Student Meeting, Milan (IT), 14 July 2016: "Writing for Reproducibility: Strategies to optimize the language and content of your research reports". Video
- Istituto Nazionale dei Tumori (IRCCS), Milan (IT), 19 May 2016: one-day course on basic techniques of scientific writing (in other words, how to write reader-friendly texts)
- Istituto Nazionale dei Tumori (IRCCS), Milan (IT), 27 May 2015: seminar and workshop on writing grant proposals
- Centro di Riferimento Oncologico IRCCS Aviano, Ciclo Formativo d'Approfondimento su Programmi Internazionali — Marie Curie, Aviano (IT), 29 January 2015: "Scrivere grant proposal: tecniche per presentare la tua idea con chiarezza e incisività" (in English)
- Società Italiana di Cancerologia, 56th Annual Meeting, Ferrara (IT), 11 September 2014, Pre-meeting Gruppo Giovani: "Writing Grant Proposals: three techniques to present your idea with clarity and conviction"
- Erasmus Intensive Programme, Training, Translating and Touring in Venice, Venice (IT), 5–19 July 2014: roundtable on translating and editing as a profession (with Maureen Freely and Loredana Polezzi)
- Mario Negri Pharmacological Reseach Institute, PhD Student Meeting, Milan (IT), 25 June 2014: "Writing the biomolecular research report: an overview of techniques for producing rigorous yet reader-friendly prose"
- Fondazione IRCCS – Istituto Nazionale dei Tumori, Milan (IT), May–July 2014: "Effective Biomedical Writing" (7–day course for doctoral students)
- St Jude Medical Italia Spa, training event, Milan (IT), 7 July 2012: "Effective Medical Reading"
- Institute of Biomedical Technologies, National Research Council, Segrate (IT), May–July 2012: "Effective Biomedical Writing" (5-day course for young researchers)
- Fondazione IRCCS – Istituto Nazionale dei Tumori, Milan (IT), March–May 2011: "Effective Biomedical Writing" (7–day course for doctoral students)
- Mediterranean Editors and Translators, 7th annual meeting (METM11), Barcelona (ES), 22 October 2011: "Establishing a dialogue between research and practice: a look at the potential benefits" (panel discussion)
- Società Italiana di Ortopedia e Traumatologia, 95th conference, 23 November 2010: "Introduzione al processo di peer reviewing"
- Azienda Ospedale Universitaria S. Anna, Ferrara (IT), 29 February 2010: "Quality Reporting of Biomedical Research: Guidelines – Challenges – Strategies" (two CME accredited workshops)
Moderation of panel discussions
|Mediterranean Editors and Translators, 15th annual meeting (METM19), Split (HR), 27 September 2019:
"Can we make the world a better place? Realities, roadblocks and rewards for language professionals who work for philanthropic causes" with panelists Timothy Barton (UK), Karen Shashok (ES), Sandra Young (UK))
|Mediterranean Editors and Translators, 14th annual meeting (METM18), Girona (ES), 5 October 2018:
"Acknowledgments in the eyes of scholars using language services: perceptions of language professionals" with panelists Wendy
Baldwin (ES), Mar Fernández Núñez (FR), Jackie Senior (NL), Kate Sotejeff-Wilson (FI)
|SENSE 2018 Conference, s‐Hertogenbosch (NL), 9 June 2018:
"Invasive species: Language versus subject specialists in biomedical editing and translation"
with panelists Anne Murray (ES), Marije de Jager (IT), Emma Goldsmith (ES)
|Mediterranean Editors and Translators, 13th annual meeting (METM17), Brescia (IT), 28 October 2017:
"Writing up research: insiders views on writing practices at research centers" with panelists Susan
Frekko (ES), Maighread Gallagher-Gambarelli (FR), Ketevan Glonti (HR)
|Mediterranean Editors and Translators, 8th annual meeting (METM12), Venice (IT), 26 October 2012:
"Craft and critical vision: mastering the skills of good writing" with panelists Karen Shashok (ES), Tom Jefferson (IT), Loredana Polezzi (UK), Anne Pallant (UK)
Challenges in writing about contributorship. PubPeer comment, 16 July 2020. DOI: 10.13140/RG.2.2.30975.23205
Acknowledging editing and translation: A pending issue in accountability. Accountability in Research. 2020; 27(4):238-239 (https://doi.org/10.1080/08989621.2020.1737525). Preprint
Transparent attribution of contributions to research: aligning guidelines to real-life practices. Publications. 2019; 7(2):24
Post-publication peer review in biomedical journals: overcoming obstacles and disincentives to knowledge sharing. RT. A Journal of Research Policy and Evaluation. 2018; 6(1)
Improving the biomedical research literature: insights from authors' editors can help journal editors define and refine their core competencies. F1000Research. 2018; 7:109
Reporting—the final phase of scientific research—can and should be supported. A case for integrating language professionals into the research setting. RT. A Journal of Research Policy and Evaluation. 2013; 1:1
Good language is vital to research communication. Research Information, 14 Jan 2013
Multiple rejections: role of the writing process.
Lancet. 2011; 378:1296 (letter)
Independent information professionals in Europe: using geopolitical and cultural boundaries to advantage. Bulletin of the American Society for Information Science and Technology. 2011; 37(3):37-39
Emerging concepts in high-impact publishing: insights from the First Brazilian Colloquium on High Impact Research and Publishing. Ann Ist Super Sanita. 2010; 46(4):451-455
Teaching and Learning Publishing Skills in Biomedical and Clinical Sciences: A Guide to Setting Educational Priorities. Up To it. 2010 (self-published white paper)
Relationship between quality and editorial leadership of biomedical research journals: a comparative study of Italian and UK journals. PLoS ONE. 2008; 3(7):e2512
Editing Research: The author editing approach to providing effective support to writers of research papers. Information Today, Inc., Medford, NJ, USA, September 2016
Supporting Research Writing: Roles and challenges in multilingual settings. Chandos, Oxford, UK, 2013 (edited volume)
Effective Biomolecular Reading and Writing. Matarese Valerie Ann, Vidor, Italy, 2017
Supporting Research Writing in Non-Anglophone Contexts: Role of Language Professionals. 2016 meeting of European Association of Science Editors, Strasbourg. This poster won the Annals of Botany Award for Best Non-Medical Poster.
Authors' Editors: Partners in communication at the service of researchers and readers. 2016 meeting of European Association of Science Editors, Strasbourg. Research highlights from my book Editing Research.
METM12 — 8th annual meeting of Mediterranean Editors and Translators, Don Orione Artigianelli, Venice — Chair of the organizing committee
The English Language Consultant. MET's guidelines for choosing an editor, translator, interpreter or other language service provider — Chair of the revision committee
Page created 8 March 2015. Latest update, 15 September 2021.